As you can imagine, summer in the AC industry can be punishing. The long hours, hot attics and countless emergency calls can spell B-U-R-N-O-U-T. As we sat in the backyard one evening last week discussing a litany of frustrations, we watched Vera run through the sprinkler, giggling and squealing, full of wonder and joy, completely carefree. We realized we were missing it. This is our last summer as a family of three.
This realization hit me like a brick wall. Soon Vera won’t be the recipient of our undivided attention. She won’t run to the door looking for a hug when we get home from work or ask us to crawl up into her treehouse to have tea parties and sing “Old McDonald” for the umpteenth time. These moments are precious and fleeting.
We needed a perspective shift and we needed it fast.
We decided to make a summer bucket list. This list would give us something concrete to look forward to and allow us to spend more time together as a family. It would also help us practice being present, a skill that challenges us even on a good day!
Below you’ll find a list of our future adventures! Are we missing anything? What are your go-to strategies for leaving work at the office and enjoying time with the family?
- Zilker Botanical Garden – Woodland Faerie Trail by Moonlight
- Mt. Bonnell
- Visit the Peacocks at Mayfield Park and explore the Greenbelt
- Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
- Enjoy the Lazy River at Hyatt Lost Pines
- 4th of July celebrations at Red, White, and Buda
- McKenna Children’s Museum
- Sundaes at Amy’s Ice Cream
- Tacos, tacos, tacos, errrrrday!
- Ride the train and feed the ducks at Landa Park
- Boat tour and Nature Hike at Aquarena Springs
- Pizza at Homeslice and a trip to Big Top Candy Shop
- Take a dip at Barton Springs Pool